As the story goes, I only started The Utopian to get pro credentials for a comic book convention. But almost two years later, here I am with a small publishing company, a number of other comics under my belt, and now a full-on graphic novel that will look lovely on any coffee table, bookshelf or nightstand. Also, more importantly, in your hands and read by your eyes.
The beautiful cover is by my man Hernan Valencia, who drew that for the first issue of the four-issue series, but it ended up getting printed inside as a pin-up because his alternate design for the cover worked better. I made posters from the pin-up, and they sold very well as art pieces at conventions, so I thought so strong an image would make a perfect cover for the collection. And swell guy that he is, Hernan gave blessings to do so.
I opted for a minimalist approach to placing copy on the cover, downplaying the “comic book” aspect of it, almost more like an album cover or fine art book. The back cover design carries the font from the cover in the sub-headers, but features prominently the original “Utopian” logo, and a not-terrible photo of me from former Rebel Yell photographer Josh Navarro.
All in all, I’m very happy with the way it turned out. If you’d like to get a copy, you can order it on Amazon.com for $19.95, but you can pre-order it directly from me NOW at a discounted price of only $14.95. And if you order it directly from me, I’ll even scribble my autograph on it. Just let me know if you want it customized in the special instructions.
Need added incentive?
Top 10 Reasons to buy The Utopian trade paperback:
1. It makes a great gift, much nicer than an e-mailed link.
2. We’ve seen your bookshelves, and let’s be honest — it can only improve your collection.
3. Your coffee table looks lonely.
4. It features 6,000 words of annotations revealing the secrets behind every single page of story.
5. Coke and hookers don’t pay for themselves.
6. The books are printed in the USA, and if you don’t buy one, not only are you not helping our economic recovery, but you’re letting the terrorists win.
7. I will personally sign any copy you pre-order directly. All those bastards on Amazon.com can’t say that.
8. When you’re done with it, you can donate it to your local library, which makes you a better person.
9. Every time an order comes in, an angel gets its wings.
10. No one wants to read 109 pages of comics on a computer monitor.
So there you have it! What are you waiting for? ORDER NOW! Only $14.95 and I sign it however you want it signed.
Thanks for your support. Now I have to get over to a thing with some people.