I woke up at 4:30 this morning feeling pretty darn hungry. I don’t usually wake up with gnawing hunger like that, but I did. I think I managed to get back to sleep for an hour or so, but it didn’t feel like it.
That was kind-of the theme of yesterday: Being hungry, and missing out on normal experiences. At some point in the day — after As Yet Unbroken‘s scheduled rehearsal was unexpectedly canceled — I was going to join Sara to run around town a bit. She, of course, mentioned getting frozen yogurt, which we typically do once a week, but I had to remind her I couldn’t have any dairy during Detox Week.
We ended up going over to Town Square to do some looking around/incidental shopping (oh, Old Navy, your insane sales will be the death of me), and Sara was hungry, so we stopped at Johnny McGuire’s, a tasty sandwich shop. Of course, I ate nothing. It’s not as much fun going out to eat when you can’t eat. To be fair, I did eat a couple of veggie wraps before we left the house, but, um, for my metabolism, they didn’t go far. By the time we were leaving Town Square (after Sara did, indeed, get some fro-yo), I felt pretty drained, to the point I chose to take an elevator up to my car on the third floor of the parking garage — and I always take the stairs. Even Sara noticed my odd decision. By the time we swung by a Target to pick up a few household items, I was getting cranky.
After eating re-heated veggie stew from the other night, I was no longer hungry, but then I was also pretty sleepy. Given how much sleep I had the night before, I can only imagine the one-two combo of the potatoes and jasmine rice in the stew did me in. Remember when I first re-introduced rice into my diet during December’s Detox Week? Yep, same thing. Not only did I feel run-down, but I couldn’t keep my eyes awake sitting on the couch (of course, it also helped I had no pressing work to do, so maybe that was just relaxation, I dunno). Starch! Curse you!
Anyway, this week’s going to be a lot of running around and preparing for Long Beach Comic Con this weekend, which I’ll talk more about later. Here’s yesterday’s food consumption:
- Breakfast: One Gala apple, one cup Dynamo juice blend
- Morning snack: One Larabar (peanut butter cookie flavor)
- Lunch: Two veggie wraps from Go Raw Cafe (pesto, “almond cheese,” tomato, avocado, sprouts, onions, cucumbers and carrots wrapped in collard greens)
- Dinner: Homemade veggie stew (carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, jasmine rice)
- Late-night snack: Two stalks of celery with organic peanut butter
- Beverages: Water, half a serving of Trader Joe’s Green Protein juice, one serving of coconut water infused with mango and peach